Managing Product Safety Through Product Stewardship
Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA produces styrene, polystyrene, polypropylene, polyethylene, and base chemicals – products that are used to manufacture a variety of plastic products. Every product that carries our name carries our reputation for excellence and a responsibility to the protection of the environment as well as health and safety during a product’s life cycle.
We have a comprehensive Product Stewardship program that helps ensure that those who handle and use our products can do so safely and in an environmentally responsible manner. Our program addresses product regulations and risk management issues in new product design, market development, raw material selection, product manufacturing, distribution and sales, product applications, recovery or reuse, and disposal.
Our commitment to Product Stewardship also recognizes that our employees, contractors, customers and distributors, their customers, our suppliers, carriers, regulatory authorities and other interested parties all share in the responsibility of the safe handling of chemical materials. We are committed to responding to any product safety and risk management questions that may be raised by our many stakeholders. Where there are complex public issues that require cooperation and joint action by industry, communities, governments and special interest groups, Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA’s participation in multiple chemical industry trade associations enables us to respond to those concerns and questions.
Product Summary and Handling/Safe Use Information
The first time you view a SDS, the system will ask you for:
- Your company - Enter “None” if you don’t have a company
- Your name
- Your e-mail address
- Your Customer Code – No entry is necessary in this field
If you need a Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA SDS not listed here, please check our SDS Website or email Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA at Product Stewardship.
Product Stewardship Activities
Through our participation in these trade associations, we conduct strategic testing and science-based risk reviews of our products and the chemicals used to make them. For example:
- Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Inc. participates in the American Chemistry Council's Olefins and Toluene/Xylene panels. These panels sponsor scientific research on health and environmental effects of their respective chemicals.
- Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA participates in the Styrene Information and Research Center (SIRC). Since 1987, SIRC has undertaken a comprehensive research program to enhance understanding of the potential of styrene to affect human health, as well as the fate and effects of styrene in the environment. SIRC's approach has been to sponsor new research in areas where deficiencies and limitations in the existing data have not provided definitive conclusions. SIRC also commissions independent reviews of the health effects studies on styrene where data already exist.
- As a member of the Plastics Division of the American Chemistry Council and Plastics Foodservice and Packaging Group, we support lifecycle assessments and responsible use of our polymer products through various activities.
In addition to industry-sponsored research efforts, Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA also conducts product risk reviews. For a summary of our Product Risk Characterization and Management Process, please contact Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA.
If you have any questions regarding any aspect of Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA products or our product stewardship program, please contact us.
Back to Responsible Care Home